The good news is, RAR / ZIP archive are easily crackable. The bad news is, now you know that imposing password protection to a RAR / ZIP archive don’t really secure your files! (haha!)
For a secure way to store your ‘secret’ files, please use TrueCrypt (free & open source)
Let us start. There are 2 free applications that you can try:
OS Supported: Linux
- Support multi-thread / multi-core – means this application can crack your password faster since it can use many CPU cores simultaneously.
- Only brute attack mode. No dictionary or guess based on portion of the password that you remember.
- Requires the following package (may install using ‘yum’):
- any POSIX compatible operating system [sorry Window$ isn’t]
- pthreads – download ‘libxml2-devel’ package
- and finally: 7zip, unrar, unzip
OS Supported: Windows, Linux, Mac OS
- Support cracking using GPU – this application can utilize your super duper GPU (NVIDIA/ATI) for the cracking purposes. Did you know that GPU is way more powerful that the CPU?
- Support dictionary attack as well as the brute attack.
- Open source version does not supported multi-core.
:: aerobrainTech ::